Saturday, February 22, 2014

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia : Undeniably Truly Asia




Almost 3hrs plane ride from Manila you'll reach Kuala Lumpur also known as KL in Malaysia. It is known for it's majestic and stunning 2 twin princes - Petronas Twin Tower. KL is the federal capital and most populous city in Malaysia. Malay as their mother tongue, English is widely spoken. Malaysia is generally tagged as "truly Asia"and as an Asian - I couldn't agree more. It is, indeed.

My knights in their shining armor!

Things to keep in mind:


  • PH passport holders can stay up to 30 days in Malaysia visa-free, but then make sure you can convince the immigration officer (at the airport) that you can support yourself during your planned stay and that you are going back to the PH before the end of the 30 day period.
  • Prepare to pay Terminal Fee (Php500 - NAIA 4) and Travel Tax (Php1,600) at the airport when leaving the Phils.
  • Itinerary , hotel/hostel/inn reservation and tour bookings (if applicable) can be a big help to boost your convincing power! :p
  • Currency is Malaysian Ringgit (RM), conversion as of Feb 2014 is Php 12 = RM 1.

How to go there:

I luckily got a flight from AirAsia for P1,900 MNL - KL - MNL RT! 3mos before my planned trip! All airlines from the Philippines fly to KL regularly so it won't be too hard.

Getting around:

It took me 1hr from the airport, KLIA/LCCT to the main city - KL via AirAsia bus for RM10 (purchased advance upon flight booking). One can choose from taxi , bus and KLIA Express train going to KL.

Train - they have several train lines so make sure not to confuse yourself. KL Monotrail, RapidKL - Putra Line, RapidKL - Ampang/Seri Star Line, KLIA Express, KTM

Bus - buses in KL are normally for farther trips (same as provincial buses in Manila)

Hop On Hop Off

Go KL (Free bus!!)

No tricycles, no jeeps - no heavy traffic. KL has also a FREE bus trip (I literally maximized that)! Here is a useful transit map you can use, Kuala Lumpur Transit Map!


Place to stay:

There's a lot of cheap and affordable place to stay in KL. Most of them are in Chinatown. I stayed at Backpacker's Travellers Inn. I chose to stay here because it's REALLY cheap, it's near train stations and a drop off point of GO KL and of course, it is a place to eat, shop and meet locals!

What to do and where to go:

Batu Caves
. I took a train from Pasar Seni (where Chinatown is located as well as my inn) straight to Batu Caves station for less than RM2.

200++ steps to limestone cave.
Inside the cave
Central Market. This is were I bought all my pasalubong! 5mins walk from where I'm staying. One reason I chose to stay in Chinatown!

Souvernirs/ Pasalubong!
Dataran Merdeka or Merdeka Square. Historical place where Malaysia flag hoisted for the very first time. Accessible via train.

Merdeka Square
Sultan Abdul Samad Building. Located right in front of Merdeka Square.

One of Malaysia's earliest Moorish-style buildings.
Titiwangsa Lake. The fairest (and farthest) lake of all. Took a train to Titiwangsa Station and cab to the lake.

Remembering "Miss You Like Crazy" movie of JL and Bea :) 
So clean and nice!
Petronas Twin Towers. Accessible via bus, GO KL bus and train. The busiest place in KL.

I barely notice myself! :)

Stunning towers under the striking sun
Blue Coral. This is part of my Groupon voucher I purchased with buffet at Atmosphere 360 resto. Located at Menara or Kuala Lumpur tower.

I love this shot! :)


Menara or Kuala Lumpur Tower. A 420m communication tower with an elegant and revolving restaurant at the top!

Reminds me of Kami-Sama Temple!


I stayed in KL for 4 days, here's my estimated itinerary and expenses.

Day 1: Trip to Batu Caves and shooping!
Chinatown (Petalling Street, Central Market)

Day 2: Going Beyond
- Merdeka Square
- Sultan Building
- Titiwangsa Lake

Day 3: Metro KL and shopping
- Petronas Tower
- Bukit Bintang

Day 4: Menara Tower
- Blue Coral
- Malaysia Cultural Village
- Dine in at Atmosphere 360

Expenses:

RT airfare via AirAsia = Php2000
AirAsia from LCCT to KL Sentral = RM 10 / Php120
Accommodation RM 12 x 4days = RM48 / Php576
Groupon Deal (Blue Coral, Observation Deck, Buffet Lunch) = RM 69 / Php828
Transportation / Food = RM 50 / Php600
Bus from KL to SG = RM 49 / Php500

All for less than Php5000!!

At 11pm, I left KL to SG! Yes! Singapore! Thanks to Bound For Two for showing me the cheapest way possible for this!






No comments:

Post a Comment