Monday, June 2, 2014

Ilocos Norte: Northern Beauty



Ilocos Norte facing South China Sea and Luzon Strait is a northwest province corner of Luzon. Noted as the former president Ferdinand Marcos' birthplace and has proud history, Ilocos Norte is a must-see for every Filipino.

Golden hour at Saud beach



Where to stay:

There are a lot of homestays in Pagudpud and I stayed to one of the best and affordable play to stay - Cathy's Homestay (0908-3146282) which is 2mins walk from Saud beach. My room has 2 double beds, 1 AC, hot/cold shower and private toilet.

My humble room for only P500

Ate Cathy and me

View outside

How to get there:

From Manila, Cubao to be specific, you can choose between Partas and Florida (Florida highly recommended). Both can take you to Laoag but Florida has straight trips to Pagudpud. I took a Florida Bus bound to Laoag (wasn't able to catch up Pagudpud-bound trip) - left at 6pm and reached Laoag at 4am the next day, took another Florida bus from Laoag to Pagudpud for another 2hrs. I asked the driver to dropped me off at Pagudpud arc, which he did. Right at the arc, there were tricycles waiting ready for tours.

There are two types of tour in Ilocos Norte - North and South. I took North for only P500 with my foreigner driver + tour guide, Kuya Ronnie. I did South tour myself on my way home.

Fil-Am driver, Kuya Ronnie

Where to go:

I reached Ate Cathy's place at almost 7am. I roamed around Saud beach for an hour, took a shower and Kuya Ronnie picked me up at 9am to start our trip.

Saud Beach is just 2mins walk from my room at Cathy's Homestay.


North Tour

Kabigan Falls - The first on our list. After 25 - 30mins walk, we reached this tall waterfall! I paid P150 for entrance + guide.


Patapat Viaduct - connects the Maharlika Highway from Laoag, Ilocos Norte to the Cagayan Valley Region and is the 4th longest bridge in the country.


Blue Lagoon - known for big blue waves and fine sand, surfers are everywhere!


Timmangtang Rock.


Bantay Abot Cave.



South Tour

Bangui Windmills - Took a city bus from Pagudpud and asked the driver to drop me off at Bangui (Windmills) then rode trike to get near the windmills. 20 HUGE windmills will blow your mind! Really wow!



Kapurpurawan Rock Formation - from the main road, I took another city bus to reach Kapurpurawan then another trike. This rock formation is definitely a stunning art of nature!


I wasn't able to visit the Burgos Lighthouse due to a very tight schedule.


Expenses:

Cubao - Laoag (Florida) - Php600
Laoag - Pagudpud (Florida) - Php100
Trike from Pagudpud Arc to Ate Cathy's Homestay - Php30
Trike rental for North - Ilocos Norte Tour - Php500
Driver's tip Php100
Bus to Bangui - Php15 then trike (back and forth) Php100
Bus to Kapurpurawan - Php10 , trike (back and forth) Php200
Bus to Laoag - Php50
Laoag to Cubao (Partas) - Php700

Calming sound of waves and breathtaking sunset will surely capture your heart. There are a lot more places one can visit in Ilocos, I just didn't have much time to discover all but I'll be back for sure!






No comments:

Post a Comment